[OSM-talk] mapbook v0.02

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 20:15:07 GMT 2012

Hi Stefan,
Unfortunately I got distracted and it has not got any further than a
prototype.

The idea is that there is a web front end to allow you to select the map
you would like to be produced (map style, paper size, contours, hill
shading etc), and any number of renderer computers will look at it to see
if there is a request for them.   It will then render the map and up load
it to the web server.   It is quite similar to maposmatic, but the idea is
that there are more facilities to customise the map.

I gave up on using fancy libraries like codeigniter/bonfire because it was
taking too long to learn, so it is a very simple home made php based web
front end.   The daemon that runs on the renderer computers is written in
python and does the data handling (things like creating contours and hill
shading).

The code is at https://github.com/jones139/disrend.

If there is interest in developing this, I could move it up my list of
things to do.

Regards

Graham.

On 6 November 2012 18:46, Stefan Keller <sfkeller at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Graham
>
> I'm curious: Is it ready now?
>
> 2012/3/10 Graham Jones <grahamjones139 at gmail.com>:
> > Excellent - thanks Paul.
> > I have nearly finished a web service that will allow users to select an
> area
> > and generate a book using your program....Will be a week or two before
> it is
> > ready though....
> >
> > Graham.
> >

> > On 10 March 2012 05:03, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have completed an overhaul to my mapbook program, making it easier to
> >> extend and adding new features.
> >>
> >> This program, available at https://github.com/pnorman/mapbook, will
> create
> >> PDF with a title page, an index map showing the coverage of the book and
> >> what page covers what area, then individual map pages, each page having
> >> arrows indicating which page is in which direction. It also includes an
> >> attribution page. An example for Vancouver, BC is available at
> >> http://pnorman.dev.openstreetmap.org/mapbook/vancouver.pdf
> >>
> >> Mapbook will work with any mapnik .xml style and can generate
> >> high-resolution maps that print well
> >>
> >> Requirements:
> >>
> >> Python 2.7
> >> Mapnik2
> >> Cairo
> >>
> >> Most osm mapnik styles will also require a postgis database created with
> >> osm2pgsql
> >>

> > --
> > Graham Jones
> > Hartlepool, UK.