[OSM-talk] Multilingual maps demo

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Fri Nov 30 18:47:48 GMT 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 10:38:58PM +0400, Ilya Zverev wrote:
> Is it better than the old approach (which is used on some wikipedia
> language sections already) by Kolossos?
> (toolserver no-labels layer + layers for different languages)
> Example: http://toolserver.org/~osm/locale/de.html (there are a lot
> more)
> If so (otherwise I presume you won't do it), why?

The old approach did not scale. For every language they basically had to
add another complete mapnik configuration. Just starting mapnik with so
many config files is slow already. Also the old solution doesn't support
language combinations, only one language at a time.

The new solution (which was actually developed for Wikipedia) supports any
language or language combination without any special configuration. Labels are
rendered on-demand and only kept for a short-time in a LRU cache in memcached,
so there aren't millions of tiles in a hundred different languages clogging up
the disk.

Jochen