[OSM-talk] Survey for people with color vision deficiencies about the street classes in OSM's Mapnik style

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 21:31:38 BST 2012

Hi Johannes,
Thank you for doing this - I look forward to seeing the results.

Colour vision is one of my interests, as I have a lot of trouble with
distinguishing colours, and I have been meaning to make a service to filter
map tiles through a colour vision simulation...but I have never got around
to it - have been carrying the research papers up and down the country for
the last 6 months, but haven't done anything with them....  I did produce a
FM-100 simulation in java a while back, but yours is much better!

I don't know if I missed this subtlety in your examples because of my
colour vision problems, but I would have been more inclined to vary the
thickness of the casing around the road - it is quite a good indicator of
its 'importance', and you can make roads look different without using up
more colours - you could stick to nice bold colours (pastel colours are
nasty - all look the same!).
It is clear from your tests that you have realised that thicker is much
easier than thin, but of course the map does not look so nice that way.

Regards

Graham.
--
Graham Jones