[OSM-talk] Translating the world

Fabien SK fabiensk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 13:08:23 GMT 2012

Hi,

Some times ago, I used also used data from Wikipedia to complete the
names of Japanese cities. But someone pointed out that it is not allowed
because:
- the Openstreetmap and Wikipedia licenses are not compatible
- even if the names cannot be copyrighted, there is in the European
Union a "database directive" that protects the databases (=the result of
collecting data; even if it contains only well-known data) in a similar
way that the copyright. In the US and in Australia, it would be allowed.
So I gave up on that idea and rolled-back my modifications. I limited my
modifications to the addition of the wikipedia tag to the japanese train
stations (in progress; discussion in the OSM-tagging and japanese
mailing lists). I used offline dumps of OSM and Wikipedia, OSMembrane,
python scripts and JOSM to do that.

Fabien