[OSM-talk] My first "coastline" question

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 19:45:40 GMT 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-29 at 18:48 +0000, John Sturdy wrote:
> In the view around
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.21134&lon=-10.35719&zoom=16&layers=M,
> the road R549 seems to cross the coastline a few times.  I brought up
> Potlatch 2 to try to fix this.  It turned out that the photo data
> isn't available for part of that area, but I did notice that the
> coastline way isn't the coastline that's visible on the slippy map
> (which doesn't seem to have a way corresponding to it).  Is it just a
> matter of waiting for a very occasional automatic update, or is there
> something that needs to be fixed manually here?

If you zoom out to around level 13 then you will see that the coastline
follows the purple path. That seems to accurately reflect the current
coastline data.

There is no automated refresh of the high zoom tiles except when some
other data changes in the surrounding area. The coastline rendering
involves an additional shapefile processing step which adds a little
more update latency too.

If you wait a few months then the oldest tiles will probably be purged
from disk and rendered with fresh data. You can make this happen sooner
by grabbing the URL for the tile and appending "/dirty" to the end. This
tells the rendering system that you want it to refresh the contents. I
have just done this for a few of the tiles shown on your link above so
you should see the effect soon (you may need to hit refresh in your
browser).

   Jon