[OSM-talk] I would like to add names in languages of French Polynesia. How to do ?

LIVINE Christin lcn at mail.pf
Wed Sep 12 10:02:24 BST 2012

Hi,

I added many points with multiple languages with name:fr, name:en,
name:ja, name:ja_rm, name:ja_kana.
I would like to add names in languages of French Polynesia. How to do ?

ISO code for writing and speaking is the same ?

- Tahitian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahitian_language. ISO 639-1:
ty. ISO 639-2: tah. ISO 639-3: tah.
Personnally, I prefer use tah from ISO 639-3, but can I arbitrarily use
ISO 639-3 instead of ISO 639-1 ?
Until recently, historically, because of religious influences, there
were two ways of writing tahitian language :
     - one from protestants
(http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/Cat%C3%A9gorie:Syst%C3%A8me_graphique_de_l%E2%80%99%C3%89glise_Protestante_Maohi),
     - one from catholics which could be the standard
(http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/Cat%C3%A9gorie:Syst%C3%A8me_graphique_de_l%E2%80%99Acad%C3%A9mie_tahitienne).
How to differentiate the two writing systems ?

- Marquesan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquesan_language. Two
dialects. ISO 639-3: mrq – North Marquesan, mqm – South Marquesan.

- Tuamotuan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuamotuan_language. ISO 639-3:
pmt.

- Mangareva. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangareva_language. ISO 639-3:
mrv.