[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap GPS Points Map

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed Sep 12 13:12:53 BST 2012

On 12/09/2012 05:51, Nick Hocking wrote:
> mike wrote
> "I have been wondering what the license is on the gps points?"
> That's a good question.  I certainly will not be uploading any new GPS
> track logs until my GPS contributiuons are under the same  single
> license  (ODbL) as my other contributions

Mike, Nick,

We discussed this at the July 24th LWG meeting and made a formal
statement:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1cHyaSBGT3493IvpJmnsAGZeIYeSBY-QieQwdOkh3wXw
Item 5

As you can see, we find it very hard to see any creative value that
CC-BY-SA can protect and so far have simply advised folks that do not
want their traces to be used to remove them.

I have now had a further discussion today.  What we will now do is this:

A full archive of all the publicly visible trace files up to today has
not yet been made. This will be done and published under CC-BY-SA at
http://planet.openstreetmap.org/gps/ or similar.

Once done, (I hesitate to put any technical volunteer on the spot by
saying when), we will then remove all traces by non-continuing
contributors. If anyone is looking for a definitive point in time when
the distribution is absolutely ODbL, this would be it.

By the way, *and this is a purely personal aside*, I feel that GPX
traces are an ideal area where it is both technically feasible and not
too strategically important to experiment with multiple licensing if the
community wishes. We could then re-publish CC-BY-SA tracks for
individual download but not integrate them into editor views.

Mike