[OSM-talk] Rohde & Schwarz using OSM

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 15:52:13 BST 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 7:35 AM, ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert
Gremmen <g.gremmen at cetest.nl> wrote:

> Reputed manufacturer of RF equipment Rohde & Schwarz
>
> has applied OSM maps in firmware in their portable
>
> R&S DDF007 Direction Finder for tracking down
>
> (illegal) sources of interference.
>

> Their brochure states that OSM currently is *license-free,*
>
> which apparently is a commercial translation of free-license.
>
> The brochure clearly mentions OSM and its possibilities and
>
> the OSM  url.
>

> Geo licenses seem really difficult to understand ;<))
>

> As far as my information goes the device will cost you
>
> more than 50.000 USD.
>

> I do not have any information about attribution,
>
> but the brochure screen image shows none.
>

> http://www2.rohde-schwarz.com/en/products/radiomonitoring/direction_finder/DDF007-|-Brochures_and_Data_Sheets-|-19-|-8692.html

I wouldn't expect direct on screen attribution on a mobile device. They
have enough happening on that screen as is. At least the brochure certainly
leaves no doubt that this is an OSM based map although they don't quite
include the "blessed" text.

However their documentation needs some work. I just download their
OSMWizard installer. It has an OpenSource_Acknowledgement.pdf file in it
which is great. This file contains the software licenses for 13 different
pieces of open source software that they use. QT (typoed as OT in one
table), Boost,  GnuPlot, Postgres, OpenSSL, etc. But no mention of
OpenStreetMap :(

The other problem is that this OSMWizard software is a tile scraper. It
doesn't send a user agent string either so it is violating several terms of
our tile usage policy. You can put in a custom tile server but it defaults
to the osm.org mapnik layer. Although, given the specialized nature of this
product I imagine it won't really cause any major problems compared to the
other scrapers that are out there.

Toby