[OSM-talk] All you've ever wanted to know about the french cadastre

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 22:28:48 BST 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Sarah Hoffmann <lonvia at denofr.de> wrote:

> for 7 imported buildings you manage to map one non-cadastre object.

As Eric said, I find the ratio quite good. I would be interested by
the ratio buldings/non buildings in Germany (your email is German). As
I understood, it is acceptable to have 100 Germans tracing 10
buildings from Bing but not 1 lazy French importing 1000 buildings
from the Cadastre. Even if the quality is questionable in both cases.

> So indeed, I would agree that French contributors do map other details.
> Occasionally. Very. Occasionally.

Indecent for all contributors editing in France (incl. many
foreigners) and not importing buildings. No more comments about so
much ignorance.

> For the sake of completeness: planetwide there are currently
> 152 million objects. Which means 1/6th of the planet consists of
> French buildings. Now, there is a real problem.

It was a time where TIGER data took half of the database (if I
remember correctly). Then the ratio declined. It will be the same for
French buildings. Germans are also massively adding buildings but by
hand (is it not also imported sometimes ?). It's just a matter of time
until Germans will exceed the French on this. Will you be happy to
read "now the German buildings is a real problem because it takes
1/6th or 1/7th of the planet" ?

> It wastes lots of bandwidth and CPU time.
Again the same arguments we have seen years ago from those against
imports in general. Nothing new. And for data consumers, they can
filter by tags or areas if they wish.

> If it wasn't for the cadastre imports, we'd still be able to keep the 32bit id space
> for nodes for another year or two, which would save a lot of hard
> disk space for a lot of people.

The 64 bits transition is done now at the same time as the full
re-import due to the relicensing which, I guess, is a good
coincidence.

> Now please don't let me stop you from continuing to complain about how all those import rules make your life so much harder.
...hmm, not sure about this sentence ... but I don't think the
guidelines have been created with the intention of making our life
much harder.

Pieren