[OSM-talk] Imagery Boundary?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 14:17:13 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 2:53 AM, Dave Sutter <sutter at intransix.com> wrote:
> Creating another instance of the OSM database and server is a very
> good idea. I would propose we make the purpose of this database to
> allow people post ANY geo data that is NOT part of the base map. It
> would be an open database for general GIS data.
>
> Some examples of random things people could do with this database:
> - The high resolution imagery outlines discussed in this thread
> - Migratory patterns of birds (I can't find the post where someone was
> requesting where to do this...)
> - GPS tracking for running, hiking, cycling and other recreation,
> similar to Strava or MapMyRun (see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenSportMap)
> - GIS Management for operations like Haiti OSM team

There are very many use cases for GIS data that is useful to OSM but
doesn't meet the current OSM criteria. Perhaps so many that one
database wouldn't be enough. Some that come to mind:
- everything that fails the "on the ground" test (flight paths,
boundaries, designations, etc)
- statistical/population/demographic data
- project metadata like "the zzz team is working within this boundary area"
- subjective data (preferred cycle routes)
- historical data (explorers' routes, defunct bus routes, demolished
buildings...)

Probably some of these already have good homes (OpenAviatianMap?).

Steve