[OSM-talk] RFC updated: OSM Attribution Mark (was: contributor mark)

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 22:17:38 UTC 2013

Hi

I don't think there's much existing agreement on how we attribute, just standard practice. I as a contributor never "asserted" how things should be attributed.

For instance, looking at the FAQ
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ#3a._I_would_like_to_use_OpenStreetMap_maps._How_should_I_credit_you.3F

> Our requested attribution is "© OpenStreetMap contributors".

That says requested attribution. There's nothing required?

> "Because OpenStreetMap is its contributors, you may omit the word "contributors" if space is limited."

Indeed.

I think we're overvaluing text in the standard practice. No one reads the messy text at the bottom of maps, except for map developers. Something recognizable visually, without reading, is going to do a lot more for awareness of OpenStreetMap then some text that just gets ignored.

For this contributor, I would be proud to have my work credited by "by OSM", or "with OSM". Copyright is there legally, on the copyright page. We are more than copyright, we are community. And the newly designed page is a great improvement, great welcome, to not only explain the legalities, but what OSM is about ... people who care about data.

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

the text.  Specifically, the image eliminates every text character
entity.  The image eliminates "© OpenStreetMap Contributors" or 25 letters and copyright symbol.