[OSM-talk] Making iD the default editor on osm.org

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Mon Aug 19 22:13:20 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> --> Going off on a tangent here and leaving the scope of immediate iD
> improvements - someone else has posted that a while ago in a different
> discussion. Maybe we are far too obsessed with trying to make sure nothing
> is ever broken in an edit session. Maybe we should focus more on
> post-processing of edits. Give users the option of saying "I'd like someone
> else to review my edit". If user does that, a special tag ("review=yes") is
> set on the changeset. A list/map of such "changesets for review" could then
> be generated and processed by users who are interested in helping. Before
> too long we'll have feature where changesets can be commented/discussed
> which would go nicely with this.

+100 on this.  OSM editing for a first timer is lonely.
There's no evidence anyone in the project cares until you make a mistake
(then you get pillored).

Mistakes themselves are not a problem in a system with undo.
But in a database with millions of nodes, something has to focus checking,
else bad edits just drop as needles into the haystack.