[OSM-talk] Making iD the default editor on osm.org

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 23:13:39 UTC 2013

On 20 August 2013 07:57, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> I think one shouldn't be religious about warnings/questions/popup messages
>> - sure it's a UI challenge to do them well but simply not doing them at
>> all, ever, doesn't automatically mean you have a good UI. However, a pop-up
>> message every time you have deleted something would surely be stretching it!

No, I don't think it is, as long as there is a "Don't show me this message
again" mechanism in the message itself, or alternatively you could just
show it once. Think of it like tutorial mode in a game, turned on by
default for beginners. The computer game industry has spent a lot of time
working out how to get casual users up to speed on new software, some of
their techniques are worth looking at.

> --> Going off on a tangent here and leaving the scope of immediate iD
> improvements - someone else has posted that a while ago in a different
> discussion. Maybe we are far too obsessed with trying to make sure nothing
> is ever broken in an edit session. Maybe we should focus more on
> post-processing of edits. Give users the option of saying "I'd like someone
> else to review my edit". If user does that, a special tag ("review=yes") is
> set on the changeset. A list/map of such "changesets for review" could then
> be generated and processed by users who are interested in helping. Before
> too long we'll have feature where changesets can be commented/discussed
> which would go nicely with this.

Yes - and if some-one asks for a review, we should ask the reviewer to send
a response - even if it just says "every thing looks OK to me"

 In fact, I'd go further - in whatever mechanism we are using to get the
changesets that need reviewing, I'd also add the option to review any new
users first (few?) changeset that did not ask for review. We don't
necessarily need to respond to these, but a mechanism to easily identify
ones that haven't been reviewed would be good.

I've seen this idea work in other crowd sourced efforts. As long as we are
upfront about the fact that your first few efforts might be sanity checked,
people don't seem to mind.

Stephen