[OSM-talk] Making iD the default editor on osm.org

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Aug 21 10:15:52 UTC 2013

Pieren wrote:
>> In regards to mistakes: I think it clear that iD makes delete more prominent
>> >and easy to hit than P2, and misses opportunities to have better delete
>> >workflows.

> I don't see this as a problem. Deleting is equally important as
> inserting or moving objects in any editor. When you edit a page in
> wikipedia, nobody complains that deleting words is so easy, even for a
> first contribution. What I deeply regret is that OSM website still
> does not offer to everyone, including newcomers, a fast and easy way
> to revert an edit once it is saved. Reverting is done in two clicks on
> wikipedia. This is something important for newcomers. They are less
> worry to participate if they know that they (or someone else) can
> revert at any time their mistakes, even after clicking the 'save'
> button.

I'd second that. Although I think the comparison with wikipedia is perhaps not
so straight forward. We can easily grab a page of text and edit it locally for
our own use. In the past people have tried to do the same thing with the map not
understanding perhaps the implications. A better handling of the SAVE cycle
might suffice in a lot of cases, rather than a pop-up for each delete? So many
nodes will be deleted from the live map ... did you really mean to do that?

Then from the other end, a means of editing and printing an area of map
'off-line' so people can do their own quick customise?

> I have personnally more problems when I see that moving a node is
> simpler than moving a way, but that's a detail.

I'm interested in that comment. I've had a few occasions I think on P2 but it
may have been JOSM, when I've gone to realign a node ready to bring some
additional way in contact, but the whole target way has moved. Undo fixes the
problem, but I could not see why you would want to move the whole way especially
when you can't see the ends? To me the default should just be moving the node?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL