[OSM-talk] Making iD the default editor on osm.org

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Sat Aug 24 07:56:33 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:45 AM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Ben Abelshausen
> <ben.abelshausen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sometimes it almost looks like some people here are afraid of new users.
>
> +1
> We also have to see "deletions" as positive contributions "a priori"
> when it is really fixing something (e.g. removing an obsolete POI).

Only intentional deletions are positive contributions.

There are "mouse mistake" deletions.
And "haste" deletions.

All I ask is that before deleting a POI, that you (beginner, intermediate
or guru) examine it.  Can it be fixed?  Should it be disused: instead?
There are few POIs that can be reasonably deleted from the geometry
alone... which is why I feel putting the trash can in the editing area is
poor workflow.  Instead set the UI up to encourage good workflow: see a POI
that might be bad, examine it's current content and/or history, apply
local knowledge and/or research, and then execute a course of action.
 Respect the prior mapper's work by actually looking at it, prior to
deleting it.