[OSM-talk] Making iD the default editor on osm.org - some numbers

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Sat Aug 24 10:14:05 UTC 2013

John Firebaugh wrote:

>     During the last month in this area:
>
>     P2  iD  JOSM Other (Wheelmap / Go Map! / POI+)
>     Made no newbie errors            34  17     3 3
>     Made at least one newbie error   40  16     1 3
>     Made more serious errors          5   0     1      0
>

> So 45 of 79 new contributors (57%) made errors with P2, 16 of 33 (48%)
> with iD, 2 of 5 (40%) with JOSM, and 3 of 6 (50%) with other editors.
> While there's no doubt a fair margin of error here, what I conclude
> from this is while it's still much too easy for new contributors to
> make mistakes with our current editors, there's some indication that
> they make fewer errors (especially serious ones) with iD than with P2.
>
> If you have time, I would love to see more numbers in the future or
> changeset examples that show what types of errors are most common.

No problem - at current rate of registration there'll be 50 or so new
mappers in that same area in a couple of weeks or so (the rate will
hopefully go up with press such as
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6265150 ), so I'll have a look then.

I'm a bit wary of posting "individual user errors" in a searchable
public forum (I wouldn't have wanted my "new user errors" preserved for
posterity in that way!) but will try recreate and summarise the common
ones below.  Of course the iD versions used in the data above and the
summaries below won't be current so these issues may already have been
addressed.

1) A POI added without a main tag

http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/4295739963

I suspect that people are adding a "point" to a map (in this case for a
shop), and are not seeing "shop" in the default list to the left or
understanding that they can search.  In my experience the search works
really well, and once a "point" has been added by mistake the "change
feature" tooltip is pretty obvious too - so I've no idea how to improve
here!

2) Thing X changed to thing Y

http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/4295035814

There have been a couple of examples of people clicking in an area (in
this example landuse=residential) and then changing it to match the POI
or area that they're trying to add, resulting in something like this
unfeasibly large place of worship.

3) Deletions

http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/30174

I've no idea whether things are being deleted by clicking on the rubbish
bin icon or pressing the keyboard shortcut.  According to comments on
#osm-gb there have been a couple of attempts to find out what buttons
people are clicking, but the answer is "I didn't mean to do X - I've no
idea how it happened".

Cheers,

Andy