[OSM-talk] Making iD the default editor on osm.org - some numbers

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Aug 24 10:29:25 UTC 2013

SomeoneElse wrote:
> 1) A POI added without a main tag
>
> http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/4295739963
>
> I suspect that people are adding a "point" to a map (in this case for a shop),
> and are not seeing "shop" in the default list to the left or understanding that
> they can search.  In my experience the search works really well, and once a
> "point" has been added by mistake the "change feature" tooltip is pretty obvious
> too - so I've no idea how to improve here!

Potlatch2 works nicely by drag and drop a selected POI onto the map. It's grid
does need a little updating, but on the whole is a better starting point.
I will be making a case for including that into id ... the current 'blank page'
when adding a point is not user friendly at all! It took me a while and a few
moves to get a POI node created in id ...

> 3) Deletions
>
> http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/30174
>
> I've no idea whether things are being deleted by clicking on the rubbish bin
> icon or pressing the keyboard shortcut.  According to comments on #osm-gb there
> have been a couple of attempts to find out what buttons people are clicking, but
> the answer is "I didn't mean to do X - I've no idea how it happened".

See other thread an why there should not be a delete button! I made the same
case on potlatch in the past and now the reasons are even greater.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL