[OSM-talk] Element on OSM which don't exist in real life

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Mon Dec 2 19:12:48 UTC 2013

First off, I hope this is the right place to ask mapping questions -
otherwise could you suggest the best mailing list please.

I am doing some mapping along the Interstate 5 in California based on my
own notes and data collected. What I keep on finding is elements on OSM
which don't seem to exist in reality. For example:

1. Kettleman Station: http://osm.org/go/TY2PBnA1M?node=150964893 This
appears to be some sort of industrial installation - why would it be
marked as a hamlet? Both the Bing satellite imagery and a peak at Google
Streeview confirm that there are no residences in the area.

2. All across these fields: http://osm.org/go/TY2PBU33  there are
numerous roads - some of them even with names and/or codes. On satellite
view they appear to be nothing more than dirt tracks at best - some of
them not even that. When I was there a month ago, those were just empty
barren hills. I don't quite understand why the maze of highways giving
the impression of some densely populated area.

Along the I5 there seem to be numerous examples like the above. Is there
some element of local knowledge that escapes me - and those features
actually exist?