[OSM-talk] Long tail challenges - was: Re: Bitcoin Spam

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Wed Dec 4 00:21:05 UTC 2013

Gotcha.
I think we're taking mostly about same things... If there's no office or
shop (or a warehouse or something tangible, PO box not being enough)
there's no space for our in OSM db.

I may have over reacted partly because I've both heard of and dealt with a
number of people who have found it difficult to add their business location
to OSM-talk. And the entries that they've added have often been less or
often more crappy - just like the entries of so many new n00bs'.

It's also good to remember that business names sometimes do contain what
seems to be classifying info (Hotel Astoria, Sydney's Opera house, Catedral
de Managua, etc).

In any case, perhaps I'm just wanting to ask that we try to assume good
faith as much as possible. Our learning curve exists and is doing well,  so
to say.
So, let's try not to scare away new contributors / projects that are
driving new contributors.

Cheers from undermapped Nicaragua where Foursquare has thus far clearly
been much more successful in getting POIs mapped (with decent accuracy)
than OSM (because of a range of things of course),
-Jaakko

--
Sent from my Android device.