[OSM-talk] The new OpenStreetMap.org design

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Wed Dec 4 11:58:18 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 04 December 2013, John Firebaugh wrote:

> Concretely, here are the improvements we implemented:
>
> [...]

Are there any plans to evaluate if these design goals are actually met?
I know this is difficult to assess but you could do quite a bit by
analyzing server logs before and after the change.  Also having a poll
among registered OSM users might be possible.

I ask this because there are a lot of claims in your list of
improvements that are plausible but not self evident and a critical
evaluation of those would be prudent.  In particular from my
perspective (and others have made statements in a similar direction)
the claim of an overall better usability is somewhat doubtful at this
point.  The most serious usability issues are however not inherent to
the design I think so these could be solved by gradual improvements -
some of them already have been addressed.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/