[OSM-talk] The new OpenStreetMap.org design

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Wed Dec 4 18:20:37 UTC 2013

Christoph Hormann wrote:
> ... In particular from my perspective (and others have made statements
> in a similar direction) the claim of an overall better usability is
> somewhat doubtful at this point.

My impression (already expressed on this list) is that the new design is
significantly less usable*, but in order to try and put some numbers to
that I had a go at counting key presses and mouse clicks while looking
over a couple of local-ish new user edits (yes, I am that sad :) ).

The answer was 98 key presses / mouse clicks "that I would have made
anyway" and 46 extra ones** that are a result of the redesign.  Most of
the extra ones are a result of scrolling up and down object detail and
history lists to see what's on them (lists that previously would have
been presented on one page).  There were also about half a dozen places
(mostly where details are displayed in-place at the left) where there's
a delay where data isn't shown where on the previous site the previous
data would have been until it was replaced.

Cheers,

Andy

* for my individual use-case - everyone's is different.

** that's not including misclicks and "finding out how the new site
works" - it wouldn't be fair to include those.