[OSM-talk] 'Allowed data'

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 19:01:44 UTC 2013

2013/12/7 Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk>

> Delete is simply not a valid concept unless the object never existed in
> the first place?

While I find this concept appealing at first glance, it would raise
complexity much more if we not only had present but also past objects in
the db. We had a mapper in Germany (Mirko) who has mapped underground
installations and old road infrastructure in that area that afterwards has
been restructured. The density of objects (namely a second system of ways
that wasn't in any way correlated to the current "ground") made editing in
this area much more difficult than without these objects.

If we want to be the map for everybody we also have to take care that
complexity remains on a level that you can contribute even if you are not a
full-time mapper or have studied OSM 1+2 at college ;-)

cheers,
Martin