[OSM-talk] The new OpenStreetMap.org design

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Dec 9 09:58:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 12/09/2013 12:37 AM, SomeoneElse wrote:
>> - A better experience for veterans.
>
> This is where most of the complaints seem to be targeted (not
> unnaturally, since new users by definition won't know if they're getting
> a better or worse experience than they would have had previously).  For
> example, the new design has less space devoted to information and more
> devoted to a map that may or may not be completely irrelevant.

Personally, I tend to side with you here - there's a couple of things
that are now more difficult for me, require more mouse clicks or more
squinting at the screen, or Greasemonkey hacks.

To be fair, I only discovered that I was making use of these things once
they were gone. Had someone asked be before, I probably wouldn't have
been able to say "features A, B, and C are important for me so please
don't design them away" ;) the more "database-like" browse pages on
which the map was just a small square are an example of that.

Interestingly, amongst the mainly positive echoes on talk-de, there were
a few people claiming just the opposite of what you and I seem to feel:
They said that the new layout was too much in favour of "veterans" and
less welcoming for newbies - something that I don't see and I have yet
to understand why people would think that.

Bye
Frederik