[OSM-talk] STFU

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Feb 2 23:17:53 GMT 2013

Christopher,

On 02.02.2013 23:29, Christopher Woods (IWD) wrote:
> As it is, OSMF seems notionally answerable to the greater OSM community
> after being nominated to oversee its concerns and become custodian of
> the equipment, run outreach projects, fundraise etc. The board is
> elected by just 358 paid OSMF members from (we can only assume) the OSM
> community (of thousands? Tens of thousands?). The work they do is
> fabulous and contributes to the continuation of OSM but there's still
> not, that I can see, a sufficiently stable framework in place should
> this arrangement change.

The OSMF board discussed this issue at their F2F meeting in Berlin last
November (meeting minutes:
http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_Minutes_2012-11-03).

At the meeting we churned through several variations on the topic of
"who is the community, who is OSMF, who decides" etc.etc., and
essentially agreed that we would like to actively pursue the goal of
getting a greater proportion of the community to become OSMF members so
that we achieve a solid and representative democratic footing.

I quipped on the "glacial pace" in another email just now, and this is
one of the issues where things haven't progressed too fast; personally I
now think it is likely that any grand "membership drive" activities will
happen after this year's SOTM and not before. But this doesn't mean that
the goal is abandoned.

Bye
Frederik