[OSM-talk] advice for getting a newer Garmin nüvi car navigation device?

Kevin Peat k at k3v.eu
Thu Feb 14 08:54:04 UTC 2013

On 14 Feb 2013 01:10, "Paul Johnson" <baloo at ursamundi.org>

> Annoyingly, most of the cool goodies like on-screen speed limit and
overspeed alert and lane assist aren't available in the mkgmap output as
far as I can tell¹...

I have rolled my own OSM based maps for years using mkgmap for Etrex and an
old Nuvi in the car and while that is nice the lack of pretty basic SatNav
features really isn't great and doesn't look like changing anytime soon.
Navigation works on the Nuvi but doesn't always give a good route.

I think the future must be an Android or iOS app designed to work with OSM
where [data allowing] they could implement all the features expected from a
modern SatNav.

Kevin