[OSM-talk] advice for getting a newer Garmin nüvi car navigation device?

Johan C osmned at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 12:20:35 UTC 2013

I agree with Kevin on the future of OSM based navigation devices.
Unfortunately the number of people trying to implement tagging schemes for,
for example, lane assist is limited to 2-3 people. More help on that is
badly needed.

Cheers, Johan
It's so funny

Op donderdag 14 februari 2013 schreef Kevin Peat (k at k3v.eu) het volgende:

> On 14 Feb 2013 01:10, "Paul Johnson" <baloo at ursamundi.org>
>>
>> Annoyingly, most of the cool goodies like on-screen speed limit and
overspeed alert and lane assist aren't available in the mkgmap output as
far as I can tell¹...

> I have rolled my own OSM based maps for years using mkgmap for Etrex and
an old Nuvi in the car and while that is nice the lack of pretty basic
SatNav features really isn't great and doesn't look like changing anytime
soon. Navigation works on the Nuvi but doesn't always give a good route.

> I think the future must be an Android or iOS app designed to work with
OSM where [data allowing] they could implement all the features expected
from a modern SatNav.