[OSM-talk] Display names of crossroads

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Feb 15 08:37:27 UTC 2013

Am 15.02.2013 00:24, schrieb Andrew Errington:
> junction=crossroads would be fine, but it doesn't add any information.
-1
Following the general approach to handle  *=yes as kind of a fallback
for cases where more detailled information is missing
junction=crossroads in fact would add information.
Sure: There's not much reason to tag junction=yes anywhere as a fallback
as these kinds of junctions are derived out of the fact of three or more
streets (to distinct from the OSM way type) joining at a common node,
but on the other hand one could (!) interpret that as the untagged
default here.
junction=yes is therefore IMHO worse than junction=crossroads or
junction=intersection.
> junction=yield is no good because it does not specify which direction of
> approach should yield.  junction=stop is also no good, for the same reason.
+0.5
junction=yield/stop is not enough, but better than nothing, and it would
allow to search for nearby stop signs to determine that missing
information perhaps.
Is there a good approach yet how to match stop signs to the intersection
they belong to?
And if I'm at the street that has the right of way the software would
have to look around at every intersection if there are stop or yield
signs, as it's not obvious that there's a right of way (and not right
before left or vice versa, which usually should be the default (at least
in traffic, not necessarily in OSM), I think).

junction=stop/yield on the opposite would say: hey, here you
definitively have to look about right of way signs around.
> So, what I want is for Mapnik to render a label at a node if the there is a
> junction=yes tag (and name=* tag) present.  This has been stated in the wiki for a long time.
agreed (while I would prefer tagging junction=intersection nevertheless).

regards
Peter