[OSM-talk] Revival: Multilingual Country-List

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 12:07:20 UTC 2013

2013/2/21 Hans Schmidt <z0idberg at gmx.de>:
> I would rather vote for a solution which compares the name tag according to
> region. So, for Central African Republic the default language is set to
> french, meaning that name is automatically also becoming name:fr.

Where do you set this *1 and with which tag? Currently it doesn't look
as if for your example any default language is set:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/432424956

but it looks as if there are 2 official languages, so putting the
default to french looks like a potential offense to me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central%20African%20Republic?uselang=en
Official languages:
French
Sango

cheers,
Martin

*1 maybe it's about time to revise the idea to tag countries
(place=country) as nodes?