[OSM-talk] Revival: Multilingual Country-List

Hans Schmidt z0idberg at gmx.de
Thu Feb 21 12:29:53 UTC 2013

Am 21.02.2013 13:07, schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:
> Where do you set this *1 and with which tag? Currently it doesn't look
> as if for your example any default language is set:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/192790
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/432424956
>
> but it looks as if there are 2 official languages, so putting the
> default to french looks like a potential offense to me:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central%20African%20Republic?uselang=en
> Official languages:
> French
> Sango

yes, I know that especially for African countries, this could get messy.
There are many other examples where this would clearly give benefits,
though. For problematic cases one could develop something special.

Btw, for multilanguage stuff, I'd want a JOSM plugin somehow in this form:

http://www.abload.de/img/josm92o58.jpg

First, in JOSM you could select based with the Overpass API what you
want to download: All nodes for Japanese prefectures (in my example),
all cities in Germany etc. Then, JOSM would display these things in a
tabular form, where it would first analyse which name:xy tags are
present, and then display them like that.
This would give the following advantages:

1. You could easily see where there are missing items
2. If there are two similar name tags (in my case, ja_kana and ja_hira),
they could be merged.
3. The input is _much_ faster than opening every node on the map, adding
a new name:xy tag etc, pressing ok, selecting the next one etc.
4. If you want to add a new translation, just add a new column.

In my opinion, without some tabular based approach, the multilingual
project cannot be successful, because the input is _way_ to cumbersome.