[OSM-talk] Comments On New Tile Layer Guideline Process

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 03:25:52 UTC 2013

Hi

> The strategic working group goes into a closed room and has a secrete
> ballet to vote and decides on these two items.

Actually, it's the OWG that makes these decisions. The SWG devised the process. Vast majority of what the OSMF does in not confidential, but certainly could be communicated better.

Though on this point, this page does a pretty good job of summarizing the discussions.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Featured_tiles

> The strategic working group is out of bounds on this issue and needs> to get out of way. I am certain this heavy process is hurting the

> project.

This is really a design issue.

I think the process is ok, if you consider the current site design of tile options. If the site design adapts, the process can adapt to it.

What could improve is the design, setting up better expectations of reliability/coverage of different options there ... ie group tile sets into visual categories based on expected preformance.
There was another suggestion on this thread to add configurable tile options, not a bad idea. Would also want to make it easy for users who don't understand tiles to see more breadth than is there currently.

One other improvement might be to add zoom restrictions to certain tile sets. Everyone would like to see watercolor tiles on osm.org. Restricting/warning to some reasonable zoom level that Stamen can support (12?) would at least give the option.

So what do we need? Some design work and little bit of front end and rails coding. Pull requests are the reality of improvements to osm.org.

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron