[OSM-talk] Wiki documentation on GPS devices - please help answer some questions

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 13:54:16 GMT 2013

Hi All,

I have been updating the wiki pages about recording, converting and
uploading GPS tracks. My aim is to have these 3 pages (record, convert,
upload) acting as a nice guide.

== Progress so far ==
1. I updated the "Upload" page [1] to bring it up to date with the fact
that GPS data is just one part of the picture. The original page was from a
time when aerial imagery and other data sources were not available. I also
moved FAQ questions to this page.

2. I rewrote the "Making GPX Tracks" tool to include the fantastic online
conversion tool at GPSVisualizer.com (no need to confuse people with
GPSBabel software). A simple "how to" for conversion is now prominent at
the top of the page. Technical details at the bottom.

== Current project - Where I need your help ==
3. I have started to update the page on recording GPS tracks [3]. This is
where I need your help. There are some obvious questions that should be
addressed on this page:

* Can I use a iPhone / Android phone? What is the accuracy like? Which Apps
are best?
* Where should I record tacks? If the answer is anywhere, then where would
you recommend I focus my attention (e.g. rural roads)? Is this the same
globally?

What should the page say in regard to these questions? All thoughts welcome.

== Future ==
Really the page titles should be updated to "Recording GPS traces",
"Converting GPS traces" and "Uploading GPS traces". How do I move the pages
without messing up the language stuff? Is it possible to mass move all
translations at the same time?

Regards,
RobJN

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Upload