[OSM-talk] POI display on osm.org

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Jan 23 02:13:01 GMT 2013

On 22.01.2013 09:35, Ilya Zverev wrote:
> When a
> marker is clicked, a popup appears with relevant tags translated into
> russian: name, opening_hours (parsed), address (using reverse
> geocoding), cuisine for restaurants, operator, website etc.

I like that part, it's clear that effort has gone into a user-friendly
presentation of the data.

> I'd like to expect something no less spectacular and useful on the
> openstreetmap.org. Right now, in Roland's version, it isn't even clear
> that one should click on the map to get information.

I also agree that the lack of pointer feedback is a bit of an usability
problem with Roland's solution. This is probably a result of the
technology - it only appears to look for POI after the click, which
prevents subtle feedback like changing the mouse cursor or highlighting
an object.

However, the approach with the very large and prominent markers on
openstreetmap.ru can only really be used together with the feature
catalogue. If every single POI in the map were to be represented like
that, the screen would be flooded with markers.

A feature catalogue requires a very different approach to using the map,
though: The user has to be quite methodical to first decide what they
are looking for, then open the appropriate category in the catalogue.
Spontaneous spatial exploration would not happen. So it's not a given
that it would be the right user interface for osm.org.

Tobias