[OSM-talk] Using OpenStreetMap on a daily basis

osm at k3v.eu osm at k3v.eu
Tue Jul 9 12:04:35 UTC 2013

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 12:30:23 +0200, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

>Am 09.07.2013 11:25, schrieb osm at k3v.eu:
>>
>> My ideal solution would be to have a gmaps style integrated site
>> mainly as a shop window to attract new people (+ also nice to show
>> off to the media) ...
>
>I'm sure you realize that even if you call it something different it is
>still a duck (as in: If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and
>quacks like a duck, ...), In practice what you would like amounts to
>running a full blown gmaps competitor, and if it even done badly it
>would be so insanely popular that we would have to turn the project
>inside out to support it (we already have some of the issues without
>even trying).

I don't think that would be the case as gmaps is so ingrained in most
peoples surfing habits that they aren't suddenly going to change
en-masse to OSM whatever the site looks like.

It just seems to me that if you have a shop window from 2006 a lot of
people aren't going to bother to come in and check-out the great stuff
you have in the back room.

Kevin