[OSM-talk] Using OpenStreetMap on a daily basis

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Jul 9 12:38:53 UTC 2013

Am 09.07.2013 14:04, schrieb osm at k3v.eu:

> It just seems to me that if you have a shop window from 2006 a lot of
> people aren't going to bother to come in and check-out the great stuff
> you have in the back room.
I believe that it is well recognized that we have a slight contradiction
in the way we operate that on the one hand we want and need attractive
"shop windows" to attract more mappers, on the other hand don't actually
want to provide services to such contributors (outside of supporting
contributing and editing). The, at least historic, way out is to assume
that our data consumers, 4square, and all the others, are providing the
shop windows and we only have to do something minimal for visitors that
stumble on us by accident.

If this actually works is open to debate. What is clear is that our past
role models (Navteq, TeleAtlas) have themselves departed more from the
pure data collector/provider model than we have in response to market
pressure (mainly google).

Simon