[OSM-talk] Using OpenStreetMap on a daily basis

osm at k3v.eu osm at k3v.eu
Sat Jul 13 12:03:03 UTC 2013

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 11:17:37 +0200, Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org>
wrote:

>Given the current budget, the issue of a bold foray into the web-scale
>provision of consumer services would resolve itself quite easily : the
>unsustainable project would soon implode and revert to its stable
>state of 'core OSM'.
>
>Sustainability is the elephant in the room, trumping even capex budget
>and developer resources.

Isn't the obvious answer just to provide these services to logged-in
users and if loads of people start creating accounts just to access
free stuff them limit it to actual map contributors.

It seems crazy to argue that the project cannot provide decent services
to contributors because we would then have to service the entire world.
That just isn't true.

Kevin