[OSM-talk] Using OpenStreetMap on a daily basis

Kevin Peat osm at k3v.eu
Sat Jul 13 14:09:45 UTC 2013

Christian Quest <cquest at openstreetmap.fr> wrote:

>It's not obvious at all, I even think this would have several negative
>effects:
>- rewarding contributions one way or another (like giving acces to
>some additional service) may push quite bad quality contributions
>(gamification for example is to be considered with a lot of caution)
>- reducing access over time to services may create a very negative
>image: imagine you have access to some service, then this access gets
>limited, usually this is not providing positive feedback
>- the more services will be on osm.org the less new interesting
>services will be created on top of OSM data somewhere else.
>
>OSM is not a project created to provide services to end users, it is a
>project to create/share data in order to build services on top of
>them.
>
>The existing slippy map is a limited way to show the tip of our
>iceberg. It already has some negative effect, with a lot of people not
>going further and thinking that OSM is just that : an open map of
>streets... when OSM is much much more.
>
>There are plenty of sites providing very interesting services on top
>of OSM data, and osm.org should allow visitors to discover them
>instead of replicating more or less these sites and services.

I agree with you about gamification, there are plenty of people faking 4square [and similar] check-ins just to get badges, etc. I don't think osm needs that kind of thing.

The main problem with mappers having to rely on third party sites is they all update with different schedules. I make a change to fix a routing problem, how long do I have to wait before a third party site is updated; hours, days or weeks?

Kevin