[OSM-talk] High Cartographic Quality Label Placement on OSM-based Map

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Sat Jul 13 16:04:15 UTC 2013

Hi

Am 12.07.2013 20:30, schrieb Maxim Rylov:
>> Is the algorithm available as open source?
> Unfortunately, the algorithm currently is not open-source, but the model
> that we elaborated and used will be published as a journal paper within
> the next few months.

That's really a pitty. How can someone profit from your work (aka
"Shoulders of Giants")? What worth is it pointing to us, how bad our
label placement is and how good it could be by not giving us the tools
to fix it?

Sorry for that general rant. I'm just sick of people doing wonderful
things without telling anyone about how they did it. How can humanity
evolve with such a mindset?

Peter