[OSM-talk] High Cartographic Quality Label Placement on OSM-based Map

Maxim Rylov maxim.rylov at geog.uni-heidelberg.de
Sat Jul 13 18:18:15 UTC 2013

> That's really a pitty. How can someone profit from your work (aka
> "Shoulders of Giants")? What worth is it pointing to us, how bad our
> label placement is and how good it could be by not giving us the tools
> to fix it?
I did not want to abuse anybody. At frist I tried to present the results
that can be achieved with great OSM data and than tried to clarify the
difference between two approaches.
That algorithm is a part of my PhD research. At the moment, due to some
restrictions I am not able to share the tool and algorithms with others.

> Sorry for that general rant. I'm just sick of people doing wonderful
> things without telling anyone about how they did it. How can humanity
> evolve with such a mindset?
As I wrote before the model that we use will be described in detailes in
a journal paper.
One, a researcher or a developer,  can benefit from it as soon as it is
published. I hope that the work, we have done, becomes a part of human
knowledge.