[OSM-talk] Bringing new life to the OSM.org front page

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 18:16:36 UTC 2013

Hi All,

As noted the map controls have recently changed on the main osm.org page.
have been nice to have been asked/consulted first.

The changes were in fact announced and stem from Saman's SOTM US talk
(slides [1], video [2]). This "map controls" update was one small part of
Saman's  suggested changes to OSM.org and was visible as a "Pull Request"
[3] and discussed on rails-dev@ [4].

I advise that you look at Saman's SOTM US slides and video for an sneak
peak of possible future changes (note that I do not know which features are
still being developed). There will also be an update to the proposed
changes during SOTM 2013 [5] (September, Birmingham UK) of which videos
will be made available if you are unable to attend.

Personally, I'm loving the work Saman (and team) is doing - there are some
really nice ideas shown in his slides.

Regards,
Rob

PLEASE, do NOT flood our developers with negative comments. They put a lot
of hard work into OSM.org (and associated services) and the simple fact is
that you will not always please everyone. If you have genuine comments of
feedback I suggest that you take time to collate and consider your ideas
before posting.

Finally, a few other things to note:

* With over 1 million registered users it is impossible to please everyone.
Please put things into perspective before replying with negative comments.
Also consideration of the amount of development time is always appreciated.

* OSM has numerous communication channels (too many maybe). Where would you
stop if it was decided to post announcements to the community. Furthermore
as the OSM Foundation did not ask for permission to send email to
registered users they cannot therefore push notifications to all users
(rather users will need to read the communication channels that interest
them).

[1] http://samanpwbb.github.io/osm-redesign/new-osm-slides.html#0
[2]
http://vimeopro.com/openstreetmapus/state-of-the-map-us-2013/video/68093877