[OSM-talk] New technology ...

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Jul 22 13:29:42 UTC 2013

Tom MacWright wrote:
>  >  I don't have to live with someone else's preferences.
>
> On the internet, you have been. For years now, every single day.

No - If I don't like something I don't use it ... that includes Google!

>  > Everybody is off making a better 'widget' for their pet project and nobody is
> looking at the problem as a whole?
>
> You mean in OSM? Look at how much push-back we get on something like Map-UI -
> tens of angry comments about how X changed. Now imagine a much larger redesign.

There has be complaints about not publishing things or it being discussed on
other lists. In reality some of these changes should have been discussed on the
leaflet list? It's their changes that are being pushed on us? So a proper debate
on opening up the field to provide access to tools tailored for their target
audience seems logical. The 'slippy map' is only addressing a small user area,
and better publication of the alternatives would seem sensible. Perhaps we
ACTUALLY need a map style selector on the front page rather than a single link
to a particular map tool?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL