[OSM-talk] Upgraded map controls

Michal Migurski mike at teczno.com
Wed Jul 24 05:27:17 UTC 2013

On Jul 22, 2013, at 7:21 AM, Simon Poole wrote:

> Am 21.07.2013 20:18, schrieb Michal Migurski:
>> Supporting official venues for orderly change is what the board should
>> be doing, but is not. I would support the creation and use of a
>> proposal/vote/implementation process for the community, even if the
>> first proposal is just "be it resolved that Mapbox accepts
>> responsibility for the visual design of OSM.org".
>
> I would find it very very difficult to subject superficial design
> changes to a popular vote, these are matters of personal taste and work
> flow and it is very unlikely that we could reach any kind of consensus
> within a reasonable time frame, wit this thread. What would be nice if
> we could get to a state where changing the visual appearance of the main
> site would not be such a heavy weight task (at least not for the devs)
> and could happen substantially more often than once in a decade.

It's a heavyweight task because there's no higher-level process to guide it, other than the one brought by volunteers. No strategy or goals from the foundation that would provide some rationale for a change and no decisions that would delegate someone to follow through on those goals. Bikeshedding is rarely a failure on the part of the bike shedders, more often a failure of strategy and leadership. The workings of our front page are most definitely not a matter of personal taste!

> Now high level goals and to a certain point functionality is something
> that, IMHO, is worth discussing with a large group, and we have ongoing
> discussions that cover exactly such territory. Besides what has been
> written here, there is a larger one on the German list about the
> potential gamification of OSM which shows that such a step is not simply
> a design question and definitely needs more community consensus if it
> should be seriously considered for implementation.

No kidding! Any consensus from the Germans?

-mike.

sf/ca            http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html