[OSM-talk] MapBox's support for new OSM infrastructure

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Mon Jun 3 17:14:33 UTC 2013

Over here at MapBox we've decided to support the OpenStreetMap foundation's
funding drive for hardware upgrades with $20,000.

http://www.mapbox.com/blog/openstreetmap-funding-drive-2013/

The operations working group team is doing awesome work to maintain
OpenStreetMap's server infrastructure. It is amazing on what humble budget
one of the best global map datasets is being maintained. A big thank you
right here to those who put countless unpaid hours into running
OpenStreetMap. You rock.

As Andy Allen from the operations working group described on the dev list
[1], the upcoming upgrade is a pragmatic plan based on an architecture that
has powered OpenStreetMap for several years now. There are clearly needs to
think beyond the immediate upgrade at hand about how we will grow
OpenStreetMap's infrastructure to meet the needs of a fast growing
community. We here at MapBox are looking forward to being part of this
conversation.

In the meantime, the fundraising drive is still open, and contributions
large and small count big time :)

http://donate.openstreetmap.org/server2013/

Cheers and looking forward to catching up in San Francisco and Birmingham -

Alex for the MapBox team

[1] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2013-May/026972.html