[OSM-talk] Would you like to help shape the future of OSM?

Johan C osmned at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 22:00:32 UTC 2013

2013/6/3 Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Johan C <osmned at gmail.com> wrote:
> > OSMF chairman Simon Poole blogged on May 7, 2013: “Now, with the new
> editor
> > and our plans for new hardware, we’re stepping up another level to make
> > OpenStreetMap, not Google, the default choice for mapping and map data.”
> >
> > Started as an initiative by some community members, four
> Openstreetmappers
> > are currently thinking about the future of Openstreetmap. How might OSM
> look
> > like in 2020? Is it necessary and, if so, possible to compete with a 50
> bln
> > dollar company which can buy anything it wants? What can people,
> interested
> > in geographic data, achieve when they cooperate? Is there a need to
> increase
> > the feeling to be part of a community? How can we get people to use
> > Openstreetmap apps and improve the data?
>
> I'm sure you have noble of intentions, but I have some practical questions:
>
> 1. How is this effort different from the efforts in the past of the
> Strategic Working Group, for example?

The SWG was mainly focused on financial issues including fund raising and
budget allocation.

> 2. What will this group actually do, write recommendation papers?

The group, part of the OSM community, will work with as many as possible
others in the OSM community to reach a broad agreement on what OSM should
preferrably look like in the future. With a broad agreement, the group will
help develop a strategy that will bring about the changes needed to
implement that future look.

> 3. Of your recommendations, what then happens to them? Will these
> people on this team then proceed to make them happen? For example, if
> you were to suggest that the API needs updating, will you then write
> the code? Will you be fundraising for the changes and pay for others
> to do so?

4. If the answer to #3 is yes- how will you achieve this? If the
> answer is no, then what is the point?

Another set of good questions. Most likely it will be depending on
dynamics: it might happen that community members or interested parties will
step in to support the changes to implement the future look. The group has
no intention to write code or to oversee the implementation. Fund raising
is largely the responsibility of OSMF, although other supporters of OSM in
the (recent) past stepped in to bring OSM further. We don't see that
changing.

> 5. The OSM project is largely (though not entirely) a do-ocracy. How
> does a group deciding what the future is effect that?

The group believes that we will find common themes that unite mappers. The
group wants everyones input on what they think the future should look like.
Any one individual has a hard time affecting change in OSM, but the goal of
the Future Team is to find that clear desire for what the future of OSM
should/could be. Being part of the community, as well as being active
mappers, the future team is well aware of the OSM culture and it is that
culture that gives us the strength to move forward. We are not looking to
change the culture, only give support to enrich OSM.

Dermot, Clifford, Dave, Johan