[OSM-talk] Please test this "Native wikipedia link" - feature

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 23:54:43 UTC 2013

I started the Wikidata tag proposal [1], but then after some negative
opinions I started thinking bigger. What if we started our own Wikidata
instance and called it "OpenPOI"?
Its items and properties would be designed specifically around OSM, and it
could have all the data and relations that isn't appropriate for raw OSM.
For example an item like "Mom and Pop Hotel" which would be linked from OSM
with a "OpenPOI=Q342" tag. In OpenPOI it could have links to Facebook
pages, if it's allowed to have dogs, if it has sauna, if it has a fridge in
the rooms, and all those things that tags are a little unhandy to work
with, and a map maker doesn't really need.

It could also have bigger items like "PB Fuel Stations" which could have a
property "Tags" and then the tags that make it a PB fuel station
(amenity=fuel + operator=PB Fuel). That way data consumers know how to find
certain chains. There could even be a property "Overpass query" with a
query that returns all PB fuel stations.

When you start thinking about it, there's a lot of problems this could
solve.

Janko

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wikidata