[OSM-talk] Antarctica coastline/shelf-ice import

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Tue Mar 5 14:42:38 UTC 2013

Hi!

The Antarctica coastline currently existing in OSM was imported years ago from
rather bad and outdated data. And the huge shelf-ice areas are mostly missing.
There is much better data available that can be used to replace the old data.
Christoph Hormann and I are planning an import that will improve this situation
greatly.

We are also planning to do some changes to the tagging scheme for Antarctica
which, among other changes, will move the coastline to the outside of the
shelf-ice. Our tagging is described at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Antarctica/Tagging

More information about this import is at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Antarctica/Import_2013

To not spread out the discussion in too many places, we ask you to please
discuss this on the relevant talk pages on the wiki or on the imports
mailing list (http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports).

Jochen