[OSM-talk] Explanation of crowd sourcing?

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 20 13:10:32 UTC 2013

If you need an explanation on Crowd Sourcing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowd_sourcing

In terms of OpenStreetMap, the wiki main page starts the description of as
"Welcome to OpenStreetMap, the project that creates and..."
I thought it used to be more explicit in it being volunteers(or some word
like public) that create the map. I may be wrong though, as I'm usually
explaining to people about OSM in my own words before directing them to any
pages.

On 16 March 2013 00:59, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I wanted to send a link to people who'd never heard of OSM that explains
> the basics of what it is & entails, but I couldn't find a page with a
> clear, simple explanation of what crowd sourcing is & that they can
> contribute .
>
> Even the beginners' guide seems to jump the first step by assuming the
> beginner knows they can contribute:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/**wiki/Beginners%27_guide<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners%27_guide>
> .
>
> Am I going blind & there is such a page?
>
> Cheers
> Dave F.

Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com