[OSM-talk] Explanation of crowd sourcing?

Andreas Labres list at lab.at
Wed Mar 20 15:41:06 UTC 2013

On 16.03.13 01:59, Dave F. wrote:
> I wanted to send a link to people who'd never heard of OSM that explains the
> basics of what it is & entails, but I couldn't find a page with a clear,
> simple explanation of what crowd sourcing is & that they can contribute .

Starting on the German "Hauptseite" (Main Page) in the wiki, there is a
"Anfänger" (Beginners) Link that points you to a page

   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Willkommen_bei_OpenStreetMap

containing some "what is it all about" infos (in German, obviously):
- What is OpenStreetMap?
- How does it work?
- How can I contribute?
- What is the next step?
- Further information

The "Mitmachen" (Contributing) Link there then points to

   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Getting_Involved

The English Main Page takes a slightly different approach, starting with a
"Contributing" Link that points to a somewhat spartanic "Beginners' Guide",
omitting any "what is it all about?". Maybe you could expand this and guide
beginners a little bit more...

/al