[OSM-talk] Out of Service Roads

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Sat Mar 30 14:28:57 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 01:00:54PM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2013/3/30 Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de>
>
> > Define long-term.
>
> I think you can't define this on a global level, it depends heavily on the
> local activity whether it makes sense to enter a mid-term interruption into
> OSM or ignore it.
>
> > When you look into cat manufacturer supplied satnav systems people drive
> > around with 4-5 year old maps - which are still perfectly okay.
>
> With OSM-data I wouldn't expect someone to use 4 or 5 year old data on the
> other hand ;-)
>
> > If we start tagged ultra-short-term problems the maps cant be put into
> > offline systems like in-dash satnavs.
>
> offline systems without updating possibility will always have the problems
> you get with a single snapshot (e.g. errors introduced by novice mappers or
> for other reasons and corrected shortly after, e.g. recently we had such a
> case in the Italian motorway system which caused a deviation for everyone
> using this motorway (one of two for North-South-connections, so roughly
> half the long-range traffic). I think we should discourage people from
> mapping the current state just because it might change in a few months and
> people using old data and not updating it would have problems, instead I
> believe that real time data will get even more important than it is already
> now.

Realtime might be possible in Europe - We have huge areas in the World
where realtime is simply impossible due to missing IP infrastructure.

And mapping a disruption/destroyed infrastructure is not only a matter
of mapping resources but also whether the data is still usable.

If there is a local divert - dont delete the bridge if their will be
a new one within e.g. 6 Months. The map data with the bridge intact
are still usable and fine.

Flo