[OSM-talk] GeoChat plugin for JOSM

Ilya Zverev zverik at textual.ru
Fri May 10 08:29:53 UTC 2013

Hi! Sorry to bother you, but I've written something again, and I'd like
for everyone to use it :)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Plugins/GeoChat

It is a plugin for JOSM that allows users mapping in a same area to
talk to each other. At the least it should render a chat window in
MapCraft obsolete: users at online mapping parties would be able to
interact inside the map editor. Also it could lessen a chance of mapping
conflicts, because users' location can be shown in a map window.

And the great thing is, you won't even need to keep the panel expanded,
because the panel title would inform you if someone posted a message.

I'd be pleased to see this functionality implemented in other editors
(but please not in projects unrelated to editing OSM): the API is very
simple and is also described in the wiki.

The server, of course, is not restricted to OSM users in any way. If
you want to use it for non-OSM activities, feel free: the source is on
github: https://github.com/Zverik/geochat

Thanks,
IZ