[OSM-talk] source=Google

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat May 18 15:56:58 UTC 2013

2013/5/18 malenki <osm_ at malenki.ch>

> Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
> >2013/5/18 malenki <osm_ at malenki.ch>
> >>
> >> Any thoughts about that?
> >>
> >don't put source tags on objects but on the changeset?
>
> I see no difference in using source= on objects or changesets except
> the "visibility" for the source

Point is it doesn't really belong in the data, because it is metadata. What
would you say if people tagged reason=<why I did this edit> on the objects?
Similar thing but maybe more obvious. The source is only refering to the
edit when the tag is added. The next mapper changing some property with a
different source (e.g. knowledge) has then to decide how to deal with this
source tag, and there really is no satisfying option to do so.

cheers,
Martin